Saturday 5 May 2012

Russians and Chechnyans - acrylic on canvas - work in progress (March 2012)

  







 



I started this painting months ago, based on a photo I saw years ago of a riot in, I think, Chechnya. I loved the dynamism of the construction, as well as the ambiguous direction of the energy flow in the scene.













This was the halfway point when I was still deciding between dark and light, between my usual messy style and a cleaner, more monochrome approach. As you can see from the top version, messy won out in the end!











And this was a stage when the sky was getting progressively darker. I'm still not convinced I made the right choice in the end, but hey, you always have to stop at some point or the whole thing ends up ruined with over-tinkering.

No comments:

Post a Comment